Penguin Random House LLC Random House Children's Books - Editorial Assistant, Knopf Books for Young Readers in New York, New York
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Requisition ID: 27986
The Knopf Children's Books division is seeking an Editorial Assistant to join their team. This position will assist the Publishing Director and an Executive Editor. Provides administrative support to the Publishing Director, and serves as a liaison for the editorial team and the RHCB division at large, as well as authors and agents. For the Executive Editor, assists with daily editorial activities for a specialty line of picture books, middle grade, and YA projects. Keen interest in children's books is a must. Previous experience in the field, either via internships or other work experience is a plus.
• Performs administrative and clerical tasks such as maintaining files, scanning documents, mailing packages, and ordering books for office and authors
• Schedules all departmental meetings
• Relates deadlines, agendas, and key dates to the editorial team
• Reads and evaluates manuscripts and writes reader reports
• Prepares P&Ls, contract proposals, check requests
• Attends editorial meetings and offers creative input
• Drafts cover/flap and online copy, front matter, and Title Information sheets
• Traffics books through all stages of production, including tagging and formatting of manuscripts, checking for neatness, clarity of directions to production/designer, and sequence of materials
• Inter-faces with Library of Congress in the obtaining of CIP data and LC numbers
• Submits copyright notices
• Research for special projects including: photo research, market research, illustrator research, etc.
• Ability to multitask and handle many projects at once
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize
• Strong attention to detail
• Strong communication skills, both verbal & written
• A foundation for both creative and professional writing
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
• Computer skills - MS Word (particularly word processing), Excel and PowerPoint
Salary for this position is $40,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.