Penguin Random House LLC Random House Children's Books - Associate Editor in New York, New York
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Requisition ID: 29223
Random House Children's Books is hiring an Associate Editor to support a Senior Executive Editor whose focus is platform-driven books sourced from pop culture, celebrity platforms, and current events, in a wide age range from picture book through YA, both fiction and nonfiction. The Associate Editor will be part of a collaborative team that builds projects from the ground up, working with celebrities, journalists, athletes, digital stars, and other influencers who want to share their content and stories.
Edit and oversee production of picture books, middle grade, and young adult novels.
• Stay on top of pop culture and trends as part of brainstorming new book concepts.
• Author care: maintain correspondence with authors and agents for all titles.
• Compose all copy for titles (jacket copy, sales materials copy, catalog copy, title information sheets, Launch materials, etc.)
• Read, evaluate and respond to all manuscript submissions from agents and otherwise.
• Oversee production materials for all titles, consulting with Production group.
• Proofread circulating materials, consulting with Design and Marketing groups.
• Track reviews, publicity, sales figures, and licenses for published books.
• Organize and file contract paperwork for titles, and process check requests.
• 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
• At least 3-5 years in the Publishing Industry (preferably in Children's Books)
• A keen interest in pop culture and an eye for cultural trends both domestic and global
• Editorial experience (acquiring and overseeing titles)
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
• Ability to multi-task
• Attention to detail
• Knowledge of copyediting skills or the ability to learn copyediting skills
• Proficient knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint.