Penguin Random House LLC Random House Children's Books - Assistant Art Director in New York, New York
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Requisition ID: 29304
The Assistant Art Director for the Dr. Seuss & Beginner Books properties will work in partnership with the Random House Seuss Editorial team and Dr. Seuss Enterprises on our Dr. Seuss publishing program, which is the cornerstone and bestselling brand of Random House Books for Young Readers. Assistant Art Director will also work with the estate of such Beginner Book legacy brands as P.D. Eastman, while also art directing contemporary authors and illustrators on frontlist titles.
The Dr. Seuss and Beginner Book publishing program includes frontlist titles as well as backlist adaptations such as anniversary editions, non-book licensed projects, and proprietary publishing. It is approximately 25 books a year, across 3 seasonal publishing lists.
The Assistant Art Director reports to the Executive Art Director, Brands and Licensed Publishing. Assistant Art Director will be the primary designer, responsible for the creative development and design of frontlist titles in a variety of formats (board, novelty, Beginner Book, picture book, bind-ups, boxed sets, classic editions, and gift book). The Assistant Art Director will be involved brand initiatives, care and oversight of the backlist, and non-book programs, and will review marketing materials.
The Assistant Art Director may utilize freelancers and certain in-house designers to support the work as needed. Individual will also bring their knowledge of freelance illustrators and illustrators from which to draw talent and fresh ideas.
• 3 years proven art and design management experience
• Sharp communication and presentation skills
• Excellent people-management skills
• Superior design sensibilities across multiple book formats
• Ability to work collaboratively and cross-departmentally
• An appreciation of all kinds of books and all kinds of readers
• Excellent computer skills
• Manage overall workload, including reprints and proprietary editions
• Design individual projects for each list and maintain schedules with independence
• Work collaboratively with Editorial team on individual titles, overall strategy and initiatives
• Hire freelance illustrators
• Manage illustrators, illustration reps, and creative studios
• Communicate effectively with Marketing, Publicity, Sales, and key groups within PRH
• Communicate effectively with representatives from Dr. Seuss Enterprises
• Design presentation materials for key meetings
• Attend and present materials at cover meetings
• Review marketing materials to maintain consistency and continuity
• Review work for licensed programs relating to brand such as online materials or TV series.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children's publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world.
In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children's Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others.
More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.