Penguin Random House LLC Production Assistant, Random House in New York, New York
Production Assistant, Random House
Founded in 1925, Random House is the proud publishing house of the world's most acclaimed storytellers, thought leaders, and innovators. Our host of imprints—including Ballantine, Bantam, Broadway, Crown, Currency, Convergent, Delacorte, Del Rey, The Dial Press, Forum, Hogarth, Image, The Modern Library, One World, Random House, and Tim Duggan Books—publish original fiction and nonfiction in all formats with the mission to entertain, educate and inspire readers for generations.
We are currently seeking a Production Assistant to join the Random House production department. This position provides an opportunity to support a busy department while handling responsibilities which may include:
• Under minimal supervision, archive and retrieve digital assets, and handle the transmittal of materials to the e-book production team
• Order and track the production of physical bound galleys, and may also participate in the creation of digital/e-galleys
• Using InDesign, assist in the preparation of covers and other typeset ancillary material for physical bound galleys
• Assist in the production of some mass market titles, including trafficking materials, generating and circulating weekly and monthly reports, and reviewing backlist titles for quality benchmarks
• Provide support and back-up to the members of the production department as needed
• Periodically use software to create new barcodes for some books
• Using information from SAP and MyHouse, compile and distribute various production schedules and other reports
• Update data in SAP and FileMaker Pro as required
• Distribute advance copies of finished book and help maintain our library of sample copies
• Update vendor and departmental phone lists, order supplies, and general office management
• Send packages to vendors and freelancers
• Set up meetings and take notes
• Computer proficiency essential (MAC skills highly desirable) with working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook).
• Familiarity with FilemakerPro, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and font management programs extremely helpful.
• Candidate must be personable, energetic, and attentive to detail, highly organized, flexible, and able to juggle multiple tasks and successfully prioritize them.
• Strong interpersonal skills, excellent communication, time-management, and organizational skills required for this fast-paced environment
• Interest in learning the nuts and bolts of book production essential, as well as the ability to work well with numbers.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience, preferably in publishing, project management, or a graphic arts-related field.
Salary for this position is $40,000.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children's publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world.
In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children's Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others.
More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Country: United States of America
State/Region: New York
City: New York
Postal Code: 10019
Job ID: 36819