Penguin Random House LLC Machine Learning Engineer / Data Scientist - Penguin Random House in New York, New York
The Data Science & Analytics group at Penguin Random House is seeking a Machine Learning Engineer or a Data Scientist.
We are an agile team of data scientists and software engineers with a wide mandate encompassing pricing systems, recommendation and personalization systems, title segmentation, supply chain, as well as data exploration and research applying novel statistical methods.
In this role, you will have an opportunity to work on a variety of high-profile projects under the mentorship of Senior Data Scientists and in collaboration with key decision makers across the organization.
• A bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, economics, computer science, business analytics, or any quantitative social science
• Relevant coursework applying advanced statistical/machine learning and predictive analysis techniques
• 2 years of professional experience in a data science role
• Intuition for mapping real world problems to relevant analytical methods, models, approaches
• Expertise in writing and maintaining stable production level code in Python (e.g., for automating data pipeline/modeling tasks)
• Solid capability in SQL for tasks such as computing aggregates and joining multiple tables
• A strong, documented desire to rapidly and continually advance skills through on-the-job and off-the-job training (e.g. via MOOCs)
• Experience working with Python packages such as scikit-learn, statsmodels, pandas, or TensorFlow
• Alternatively, a good understanding of R packages such as ggplot2, rCharts, ri, dplyr, data.table, cvTools, (b)lmer, arm, lasso/glmnet, BayesTree and reshape2/tidyr
• Experience with Stan or other general-purpose modeling tools
• Experience working with cloud-based computing platforms (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud Platform)
• Experience extracting data from and building/maintaining APIs
• Experience with UX design and data visualization
• Experience building data products from the warehouse ingestion phase all the way through to the business-facing application side
• Experience with automated feature engineering and large datasets (>1TB)
Please include with your application a link to your GitHub (Bitbucket) repository for a code sample, whether it was for a Kaggle attempt, a school project, or a general open-source contribution. Standalone code samples will also be accepted.
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your résumé and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.