Penguin Random House LLC Interior Designer - Penguin Publishing Group in New York, New York
Penguin Random House is seeking a Designer to work on mass market, trade paperback, and hardcover titles across multiple commercial fiction imprints in the Penguin Publishing Group division.
The Designer will be responsible for creating original designs under the supervision of the Design Director. The Designer will also prepare instructions for compositors to match established series designs, create reduction and rerun samples for titles moving into new formats, and provide specifications for reprint corrections.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Creating and managing original designs for titles across multiple imprints, genres, and formats.
• Preparing compositor instructions for new titles in a series with an established design.
• Creating reduction and rerun samples for titles moving into new formats.
• Corresponding with compositors to answer design queries and to meet target page count requirements.
• Providing specifications for reprint corrections.
• Creating designs for 1-color photo inserts, which includes generating final PDF for printing.
• Reviewing digital and hardcopy art to ensure it meets printer specifications.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
• 4 year college degree in Graphic Design or equivalent work experience
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in interior mass market or trade book design
• Portfolio demonstrating understanding of typographical and book layout conventions
• Proven eye for the design aesthetics of interior book design
• Strong time management and organizations skills
• Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
• A general understanding of prepress and production technology for 1-color printing
• Fluency in the Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Bridge), and knowledge of the Microsoft Office programs
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.