Penguin Random House LLC Design Assistant/Junior Designer - Penguin Young Readers in New York, New York
Are you looking for an opportunity that combines your love of children's books with your passion for design and illustration? Then we may have the perfect opportunity for you! Viking Children's Books, an imprint in the Penguin Young Readers division, is searching for a Design Assistant or Junior Designer to join their Art department.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Working with the design staff on the creation of jackets and interiors across a variety of formats, including board books, picture books, chapter books, graphic novels, and middle grade and young adult novels.
• Preparing files and other materials for book production.
• Adhering to production schedules.
• Monitoring books from sketches through bound books and e-books.
• Creating materials for seasonal list presentations.
• Providing general assistance to the Art department, such as returning artwork to illustrators, organizing flat files, and ordering and maintaining supplies.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
• To be considered at the Junior Designer level, minimum of 1 year of children's book design experience is required
• Design internship experience a plus
• Strong design background and excellent typographic skills
• Ability to multitask and work under tight deadlines
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Knowledge of four-color printing
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
Salary for the Assistant level is $40,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.