Penguin Random House LLC Art Director - Penguin Young Readers, Marketing in New York, New York
Penguin Young Readers Marketing is looking for an Art Director with a passion for children’s books to develop and oversee all marketing and publicity design aspects of the Penguin Young Readers publishing program. The ideal candidate will inspire the creative team to come up with fresh, relevant, outstanding design and will act as the creative lead of the marketing department, managing a staff of designers and a suite of freelancers.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Art directing all marketing material for each of the 10 Penguin Young Reader imprints, including digital, publicity, institutional, and trade/retail projects, including print and digital ads, book displays, store signage kits, social media assets, author tour collateral, promotional items, marketing brochures, event assets, agent/author marketing pitches, etc.
• Overseeing the creation and execution of creative marketing campaigns for books, brands, authors, and PYR as a whole.
• Managing and mentoring a team of 4-5 designers, working with freelance designers, trafficking material for approval, and building/maintaining schedules.
• Generating unique marketing pitches and presentations for big book acquisitions and taking a creative lead by bringing new ideas as well as expertise to the design team.
• Working with retail, consumer, digital, and school & library marketing leads to create a vision for all products sold.
• Working collaboratively with all members of the team from concept to finish.
• Effectively communicating with marketers, production, editorial, sales, and all key stakeholders.
• Attending meetings with collaborators in order to evaluate current projects and future opportunities.
• Maintaining and strictly adhering to production schedules.
• Remaining current on art, design, and publishing trends.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
• 8-10 years of experience working in a design capacity in publishing and/or children’s marketing
• Excellent people-management skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Sharp communication and presentation skills
• Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
• Ability to manage competing priorities while adhering to deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Advanced knowledge of Adobe’s Creative Suite programs, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
• A tangible enthusiasm, an ability to motivate and inspire others, a strong creative drive
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.